Special Meeting Minutes
October 27, 2011
1. Call to Order
Pat Daniels called the meeting to order at 7:02 P.M.
Commissioners present were Darrin Spaulding, Josh Dauphin, Pat Daniels, Gordon Eglintine, and Rob Compo.
Audience - see attached attendance sheet.
3. Coming Up With a List of Equipment Needed For Weathersfield
(a) What we currently have
Equipment that is currently present at each department is shown in Attachment A.
(b) What is Needed?
West Weathersfield would like to replace Engine 3 now. It was noted, however, that $110,000 is still owed on West Weathersfield Engine 2. The last payment will be in FY17. (See Attachment B)
Ascutney Engine 2 is a repair nightmare. Darrin stated that repairs on Engine 2 this year alone have already exceeded the budgeted amount for the year, and there are still more repairs needed. He said they have been spending about $7,000 a year on repairs for Engine 2 for the past ten years.
(c) How and When to Purchase It
Town Manager Jim Mullen suggested paying off the balance owed on West Weathersfield Engine 2 with the money in the Motorized Equipment Reserve Fund. There would be $10,000 left in the fund.
Darin said it would cost $196,000 to overhaul Ascutney Engine 2. Gordon suggested using the Reserve fund to fix Engine 2, although there would be a shortfall of $76,000.
Final consensus :
(1) use the reserve fund to overhaul Ascutney Engine 2
(2) ask the voters at March Town Meeting to borrow the $76,000 necessary to complete the repairs
(3) ask the voters to add 1 ½ cents to the tax rate each year for the next three years to replenish the reserve fund (this would bring the reserve fund back up to $123,000)
(4) come back to the voters when the $76,000 is repaid to request the funds necessary to replace West Weathersfield Engine
With this sequence of events, there will be a good rotation schedule for timely replacement of fire equipment in both departments.
Pat said the Fire Commission and both Fire Departments will work together to write the necessary articles for the Town Meeting warrant.
4. Executive Session - Personnel (Fire Commission Only)
At 7:58 PM, the Commission went into executive session.
Last Updated on Tuesday, 08 November 2011 10:31