• Town of Weathersfield, Vermont

  • Town of Weathersfield, Vermont

  • Town of Weathersfield, Vermont

  • Town of Weathersfield, Vermont

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
250th Committee Notes 7/20/11
Present: Chip Cobb, Dottie Richardson, Becky Tucker, John Arrison, Cookie Shand, Ernie Shand, Laurie Cobb, Sally Harris, Willis Wood, Bob Holtorf, Pat Daniels, Bev Howe, Carl Wyman, Dennis Eagles, Gail Woodbury, Karen McGee, Lisa Slade, Marina Wood. Meeting held at Center Meetinghouse.
Publicity: Sally needs any and all information that belong in the events program: expo exhibitors, WoW express info, list of donors to recognize, finished location map anything else that should go in to the program, which could be up to 8 pages. She'll need it within 2 weeks.
Advertising: We are worried that Weathersfielders still may not know of the event. Sally will make up some posters that Ernie and John will put up around town with event schedule. Pat Daniels will get both fire departments to put announcement on their outdoor events boards. Ernie will check with Channel 3 to announce event. Laurie will contact some local papers about writing an article. If funds look adequate, we will think about buying ads in the Message and Shopper a week before the event. We have four "contests" that people need to know about ahead of time: the running race, horseshoes, pie contest and cake quilt. Cecelia Arrison has posters to put up about the pie contest.
Horse shoes: Dennis explained the horse shoe competition. He'll make 7 pits behind the Dan Foster barn- three for women and under 12 year olds, 4 for men. After an end of meeting site visit, there is plenty of room for pedestrians, old cars, and horseshoes behind the DFH. John will leave some flagging and stakes before the 20th so Dennis can mark off a safe zone around the tournament.
Signs: Pat Daniels is happy to put up signs. Ernie has a number of political signs that can have poster board taped over them- the type with 2 wires to stick in the ground. Anyone that wants event signage- get blanks from Ernie or Willis for historical society signs, and get them to Pat. Karen will work on finding someone to draw some "Weathersfield 250" signs for directions to place around town. Maybe 6 to 10 of them. (Ernie just met a Perkinsville resident who didn't know where the Weathersfield Center Meetinghouse was.)
Food: Jeff Slade plans to pick up ice cream in St. Albans. Lisa will talk with Alison about getting donated paper products from Hannefords or other stores. Ascutney FD and Veteran's pop corn both need electricity. Check with John about this. Alison should check if there are others. There will be an electric drop a little behind the monument. Food vendors will be scattered first come first served throughout the Grove.
Announcers: If John can figure out a PA system that works across the road, Ernie will announce the parade from the fire dept. ladder truck that will hang a US flag from the ladder across the Center Rd. to a tree. All agreed to ask Peter Cole to MC the opening address and VIP (if any) speeches.
Donkeys: Joyce Sabo will bring her donkeys. Suggest they are kept in the Pound, where there is shade.
Race: Marina has advertised the race thru a couple of running web sites and Joe Cerniglia's contact sheet. Not many pre-registers yet. Race will be from Meeting house, past Arrison's, up Skyline, down Cook's Pond Rd., through the trail to Yewell Lane and back to the meeting house. Jeff Eaton's gator is available if anyone needs to be transported off the road section of the race. John will talk with George Thomas about access if we need to use the gator.
Parking: We'll plan to use Markowitz field, and Arrison's on Yewell Lane for overflow, with back up at Hunters or Katie King. Maureen has gotten the 12 passenger van from Bow Baptist, John will look for a CDL driver. We have two parking helpers, and will look for a few more, so no one is stuck with parking all day. No idea how many cars will come. Willis will check with BJ about borrowing a lime marker from the school to draw a pedestrian Lane on Yewell Lane.
Command Center: We will have a command center in the tent across from the meetinghouse. Ernie will staff some of the time. Need other staffers. Chip will check with John and Dennis Eagles about radios on common frequencies. Chip has a chart of who may need radios- it includes fireworks, parking, first aid, parade, food, Dan Foster House area, vendors, events coordinator, site coordinator. Any others? Road race was suggested. Not everyone will need radios all of the time, and some events and food will be close enough to the command center so a radio may not be needed.
Next (and probably last) Meeting: Center Meeting House at 7PM, Wednesday, August 3rd.
Respectfully submitted: Willis Wood