• Town of Weathersfield, Vermont

  • Town of Weathersfield, Vermont

  • Town of Weathersfield, Vermont

  • Town of Weathersfield, Vermont

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4

Select Board
Martin Memorial Hall
5259 Route 5, Ascutney VT
Monday, May 15, 2017
7:00 PM
REGULAR MEETING

MINUTES

Select Board Members Present: Daniel Boyer
Lynn Esty
Amy Beth Main (arrived at 7:15 PM)
Kelly Murphy (arrived at 7:25 PM)

Select Board Members Absent: C. Peter Cole

Ed Morris, Town Manager

Others Present:
Edith Stillson Paul Tillman Wes Hazeltine Bette Jo Esty
Steve Seitz (SAPA TV) Mark Girard Beth Gorton

1. Call to Order
Mrs. Esty called the meeting to order at 7:10PM. At this time, only Mrs. Esty and Mr. Boyer were present. It was agreed to address only those items on the agenda that were for discussion until a quorum of members was present. No decisions were made without a quorum present.

2. Comments from Select Board and Town Manager
a. Contractor List: The office will be putting out a list of engineers, carpenters, excavators, and plumbers. It will be for use in the next fiscal year – if one wants to be on the list, contact the office and all of the paperwork will be supplied. Mr. Morris said, “Mainly for smaller jobs – anything under $5000 – our purchasing policy says anything under $1000, we'll just go down the list and work with those contractors – pass it around - that way we'll keep it a little fair on who gets what. Then from $1000 to $5000 we need to get three bids. Those are probably the people that we call – the people on our list – to get those bids and move forward. (Ms. Main arrived at the meeting.) That list will be coming out shortly. I just wanted to advise the board and the public that those lists will be going out probably within the next week or so.”
b. Hazard Mitigation Plan: The town will start work on a Hazard Mitigation Plan. The work is being funded by a grant. The first meeting will be held Monday, June 5th at 7:30 AM. Mr. Morris asked that Board members take turns attending these meetings. This plan will be tied to the regional plan, but it will be specifically for Weathersfield.
c. Annual Appointments
Ms. Murphy would like to put together a written procedure for annual appointments in light of some the conflict that resulted from the timing of this year's appointments.

3. Comments from Citizens on topics not on the agenda
There were no comments from citizens.

4. Review minutes from previous meetings – May 1, 2017
Additions/corrections/deletions:
a. None
Motion: To accept the minutes of May 1st.
Made by: Mr. Boyer Second: Ms. Main
Vote: Unanimous in favor

5. Request for Large Gathering Permits/Wellwood Orchard Inc
a. June 24, 2017 – Strawberry Festival
b. September 2, 2017 – Customer Appreciation Day

The fire chiefs had no objections.

Motion: To approve the large group gathering permits and waive the fee for Wellwood Orchard for the dates of June 24th and September 2nd, 2017.
Made by: Mr. Boyer Second: Ms. Main
Vote: Unanimous in favor

6. Police Report
Chief Daniels was unable to attend, so Mr. Morris gave the report. The department was very busy in the month of April, and appears to be even more so this month.

Chief Daniels is proposing a summer uniform. It consists of khaki cargo pants and a navy blue polo shirt. The summer uniform will be cooler and more comfortable for the officers and costs significantly less than the formal uniform. Chief Daniels said the officers will wear formal uniforms for court appearances. He will draft a policy for when each type of uniform is to be worn.

(Ms. Murphy arrived at the meeting.)

7. Fire Commission Report/Lynn Esty
Mrs. Esty reported on the last meeting of the Fire Commission. Officers were appointed: Mrs. Esty is the chair; the vice-chair is vacant; deForest is the recording secretary. The Commission will meet on the 2nd Wednesday of each month at alternating stations. There were lengthy discussions of the budget and the presentation at Town Meeting on the fire district proposal. Mrs. Esty referred everyone to the minutes of the May 1st commission meeting for details of the discussions. The next meeting of the commission is scheduled for June 14th at 7PM at WWVFD.

8. Approve Fireworks Policy
The policy has been reviewed by the town attorney. Mr. Morris said Mr. Callahan had a problem with something in it, but as Mr. Callahan did not elaborate, Mr. Morris did not pursue it.

Motion: Adopt and sign the Fireworks Policy as written.
Made by: Mr. Boyer Second: Ms. Main
Vote: Unanimous in favor

9. Application for Municipal Fireworks Display Permit
a. Mark Girard
Mr. Girard has applied for a permit to display fireworks at 167 Thrasher Road on July 3rd, 2017. Northstar Fireworks is the company in charge of the display.

Mr. Morris said there were no real complaints from last year's display. There will be a list of people who wish to be notified of fireworks displays ahead of time. Mrs. Cole will compile the list and email the notices. Mr. Boyer asked that anyone with horses within 1 mile of the display also be notified.

Chief Daniels, Chief Dauphin, and Chief Spaulding had no objections.

Motion: Approve the application for municipal fireworks display permit for Mark Girard for July 3rd, 2017 (no rain date), 9:15 PM – 9:35 PM, at 167 Thrasher Road with the same stipulations as last year.
Made by: Mrs. Esty Second: Mr. Boyer
Vote: Unanimous in favor

10. Award Gravel RFP
Four bids were received in response to the RFP. The lowest bidder was Eastman Sand and Gravel. The bid was awarded to them last year. Mr. Hazeltine said that they were easy to work with and did a good job. He said the gravel is good and meets state standards. Mr. Morris recommended awarding them the bid again this year.

Motion: To award the gravel bid to Eastman Sand and Gravel for $13.75 per yard; $6.00 a yard for topsoil back load.
Made by: Mr. Boyer Second: Mrs. Esty
Vote: Unanimous in favor

11. Award Roadside Mowing RFP
Mr. Morris said he had received only one reply. The bid was for doing the whole town with 3 or 4 passes on each road at $10,200. The bid was from Bruce Orchett, who did it last year. Mr. Morris recommended awarding the bid “up to $10,200” to Bruce Orchett. Mr. Hazeltine said it is important that Mr. Orchett understands that this is for the whole town (70 miles of road; both sides).

Motion: To award the road side mowing to Bruce Orchett in an amount not to exceed $10,200 to mow both sides of the roads to Wes's satisfaction.
Made by: Mrs. Esty Second: Mr. Boyer
Vote: Unanimous in favor

12. Award 1879 Schoolhouse Window RFP
Only one bid was received – from Trumbell-Nelson in the amount of $57,000, substantially above the $19,330 proposal. Matt Keniston, who drafted the proposed budget, said he was willing to do the work for the original amount, if permission is granted by the state for him to do so. Caitlin Corkins, grants coordinator for Historic Preservation, said he could do it if Mr. Keniston can submit a bid, which Matt will do. Mr. Morris recommended awarding the bid to Matt Keniston. (The work outline was the same for both the Trumbell-Nelson and Keniston bids.)

Motion: Award the Window RFP to Matt Keniston in the amount of $19,330 pending state approval.
Made by: Mrs. Esty Second: Mr. Boyer
Vote: Unanimous in favor

13. Approve and sign letter of approval for Town Forest Recreational Planning Grant
This grant is an opportunity to develop a plan of use of the Town forests. It may not be available next year, so Mr. Morris recommended applying for it while it is available. The grant award is up to $10,000.

Motion: Approve the letter in support of this grant and give the Town Manager the authorization to apply for the Town Forest Recreation Planning Grant and have Ms. Murphy sign the letter.
Made by: Mrs. Esty Second: Mr. Boyer
Vote: Unanimous in favor

14. Review Disposition of Town-Owned Property Policy (cont from 5/1/2017)
Motion: Adopt the changes to the Town-Owned Materials and Property policy.
Made by: Mrs. Esty Second: Mr. Boyer
Vote: Unanimous in favor

15. Approve loan for WWVFD new fire engine
Motion: To borrow $229,000 for five years at a rate of 2.5% from People's United Bank for the purchase of West Weathersfield's Fire Department Engine #3 according with the voting.
Made by: Mrs. Esty Second: Mr. Boyer
Vote: Unanimous in favor

16. Town Festival Discussion
The next Town Festival will be on September 30th. It will be a daytime-only event this year. The next meeting of the planning committee will be on June 27th at 6:00 PM. It is hoped that select board members will take turns attending the meetings.

17. Discuss forfeiture of Select Board stipend
Based upon advise from the Town's new auditors, forfeited stipends must be processed through the payroll system and then can be donated to the designated party.

Mrs. Esty stepped down from the board for the next discussion.

Mrs. Esty said she had received $200 in donations for the Weathersfield Directory. She asked if the donations could be processed through the town's accounting. Mr. Morris and Mr. Butler said no, as the voters had turned down funding for the directory. There would also be a cost incurred for the town to handle the funds. Mrs. Esty said they only need to write three checks for the entire process of publishing the directory. Beth Gorton said the directory could pay for the town's expense. Mrs. Esty said she wants her stipend to go to the directory as well. After much discussion, it was agreed to have the town process the funds.

Motion: To have town accounting handle the directory funds at no cost to the taxpayers.
Made by: Mr. Boyer Second: Ms. Main
Vote: Unanimous in favor.

Mrs. Esty re-joined the board.

18. Discussion of Select Board Interactions with Town-sponsored commissions, committees, and boards
Mrs. Esty asked for discussion about select board members periodically attending the various boards and commissions meetings to show their support. Board members said they support the work of the boards and commissions, but cannot support the idea of attending more meetings. Ms. Murphy said it might be more beneficial for board and commission members to give updates to the select board at select board meetings where they would gain more exposure by being on SAPA TV. Mr. Morris said he would pass on agendas and minutes as they come available.

19. Changes to the Transfer Station Plan
Mr. Morris showed an aerial photo of the transfer station to demonstrate the proposed arrangement for the single-sort recycling dumpster. Much effort has gone into deciding on the optimum arrangement and plans are continually evolving. This plan showed the new dumpster being on the site of the shed that houses the swap shop, thus alleviating the need to pour a new concrete pad. The shed will be torn down and the lumber reused elsewhere.

It will be necessary to have two people at the Transfer Station due to the number of items that must be monitored.

It is hoped to have the single-sort system in place by July 1st.

20. Appointments
There were no appointments.

21. Approve Warrants

Motion: To approve the warrants for May 15, 2017 as follow:

General Funds Operating Expenses $39,412.43
Payroll $12,761.83

Highway Fund Operating Expenses $57,081.75
Payroll $7,992.15

Solid Waste Management Fund
Operating Expenses $8,548.11
Payroll $1,201.42

Library Operating Expenses $2,631.21
Payroll $

Grants Operating Expenses $4,296.51

Agency Monies Operating Expenses $0.00

Reserves Operating Expenses $100.00

Grand Totals Operating Expenses $112,070.01
Payroll $21,955.40

Made by: Mrs. Esty Second: Mr. Boyer
Discussion: Ms. Murphy asked about the purchase of a used refrigerator. Mr. Morris explained that the refrigerator was purchased to store police evidence. As the evidence must be stored for 7 years, the question was raised about power-loss. It appears a generator or back-up battery may be necessary to prevent loss of or damage to the stored evidence.
Vote: Unanimous in favor

22. Future Meeting Agenda Items
a. 6/5/2017
22.a.i. Budget Review
22.a.ii. Reserve Spending
b. Future Agenda Items
22.b.i. Policy Review
22.b.i.A. Class IV Town Highway
22.b.i.B. Delinquent Tax, Water and Wastewater Assessment Collections
22.b.i.C. Zoning Board of Adjustment Alternate Member Use Policy

23. Adjourn
Motion: To adjourn the meeting
Made by: Mr. Boyer Second: Mrs. Esty
Vote: Unanimous in favor

The meeting adjourned at 9:06 PM.

Respectfully submitted,
deForest Bearse