• Town of Weathersfield, Vermont

  • Town of Weathersfield, Vermont

  • Town of Weathersfield, Vermont

  • Town of Weathersfield, Vermont

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4

Select Board

Weathersfield Center Meetinghouse

Weathersfield Center Road, Weathersfield VT

Monday, July 16, 2018

7:00 PM

Regular Meeting

 

MINUTES



Select Board Members Present:     N. John Arrison

                                                            Daniel Boyer

  1. Peter Cole

                                                                        Tom Leach

                                                                        Kelly Murphy

            Select Board Members Absent:

            Ed Morris, Town Manager                                     

                                   

            Others Present:                    

Polly Folsom

Darrin Spaulding

Thomas Kenyon

Michael Chenetic

Edith Stillson

William Daniels

Darlene Kelly

Wendy Pelletier

  1. Call to Order

Ms. Murphy called the meeting to order at 7:08 PM.

  1. Comments from Select Board and Town Manager

Mr. Arrison commended Cathy Sullivan (Animal Control Officer) for her emphasis on compassion and getting the job done. She consistently goes above and beyond. Many thanks for her good work.

Mr. Morris said that Land Use Administrator Sven Fedorow has designed a new, updated zoning permit application. As is his custom, Mr. Fedorow did extensive research before creating the new form. VLCT would like to use his application as a template for other towns to copy.

  1. Comments from Citizens on topics not on the agenda

There were no comments from citizens.

  1. Review minutes from previous meetings – 7/2/2018

Additions/corrections/deletions:

  1. None

Motion: To accept the minutes of July 2nd

Made by:  Mr. Leach  Second: Mr. Arrison   

Vote: Mr. Boyer abstained; all others voted in favor

Review minutes from previous meetings – 7/3/2018

Additions/corrections/deletions:

  1. None

Motion: To accept the minutes of July 3rd

Made by:  Mr. Arrison      Second: Mr. Leach    

Vote: Mr. Boyer abstained; all others voted in favor

  1. I-91 Bridge Project Presentation

Mike Chenetic from Stantec and Wendy Pelletier from VTrans gave a presentation on the project to rehabilitate and paint the I-91 bridge at exit 8. This $5M project will take two construction seasons to complete. It is scheduled to begin in the spring of 2020 and be completed in 2021.

Mr. Chenetic said the bridge was built in 1965. It is constructed of steel beams with a concrete deck. He described the repairs to be made which he said are expected to last 40+ years.

Cross-overs will be constructed on each bridge during the repairs. Traffic on the interstate will be reduced to one lane through the work zone. One bridge will be worked on at a time. Two-way traffic will be maintained on Route 131. Beam replacement work may be done during the night to shorten the construction time. Noise restrictions will be in place for overnight work.

Final plans and specifications are are being prepared. The project will go out to bid in the fall of 2019. Construction should begin mid-April in 2020.

Concerns were voiced about:

  • the effect of traffic flow or constrictions on the Park and Ride, the Fire Station, and ambulance traffic;
  • protecting the u-turns on the interstate for emergency vehicles;
  • location of the office trailer and its effect on traffic flow.

Mr. Chenetic and Ms. Pelletier thanked everyone for their input and said they will incorporate it into the final plans.

  1. Fuller Large Gathering Permit

Chief Daniels updated the board on the plans for “Fullerstock”. All traffic will be channeled to and from the event via Route 106 and Little Ascutney Road. Traffic will be blocked from Little Ascutney Road south of the event sight and from Lottery Lane by using cones and signage. C.E.R.T will be directing traffic. The Weathersfield Police Department will periodically patrol the area but will not be manning the event. There will be a dedicated entrance to the site for emergency vehicles. Chief Daniels provided the board with a rough sketch of the site showing the main features of the site.

The event is planned for July 28th with no rain date.

  1. Center Meetinghouse request to do repair work

Mr. Arrison said that rainwater from the roof is causing erosion and drainage issues. The trustees would like to construct a collection system on the east side of the building and ditching on the west side to redirect the rainwater. Permission from the board is required before the work can begin as the town owns the land.

Motion: To grant permission for drainage work to be done on both the east and west sides of the meetinghouse

Made by: Mr. Cole     Second: Mr. Boyer

Vote: Mr. Arrison abstained; all others voted in favor

  1. Discuss petition to rename Mt. Ascutney to Kaskadenak

Rob Hutchins submitted an extensive package of information as his petition to change the name of Mt. Ascutney to Kaskadenak. The petition will be heard by the Vermont Board of Libraries tomorrow (Tuesday) evening.

The petition has been circulated and discussed in Windsor and West Windsor. Mr. Marsh, manager for the town of Windsor, put an informal survey question about the petition on the Windsor Facebook page. West Windsor and Weathersfield residents were directed to the same survey from their respective Facebook pages. 1308 responses had been received with 93% of them saying no to the change.

Ms. Murphy read a letter from Margaret Strong, a Native American who grew up with Mt. Ascutney, opposing the change.

Senators Leahy and Sanders have also weighed in on the petition.

Ms. Murphy directed the public to the town website where the full petition packet could be viewed.

Tom Kenyon said the three surrounding towns should get together to make a plaque that shows the various names for the mountain and post it somewhere within the state park. Mr. Arrison agreed and suggested posting it at all the trail heads and at the summit.

Mr. Morris said that both Windsor and West Windsor have said no to the change. Mr. Boyer said Weathersfield residents have said no and so does he. Mr. Cole agreed that the residents of the area don't want it and that the town should write a letter agreeing with Windsor and West Windsor.

Motion: To write a letter agreeing with Windsor and West Windsor in opposition to changing the name of Mt. Ascutney.

Made by: Mr. Cole           Second: Mr. Boyer

Ms. Murphy agreed with the idea of recognizing the various names for the mountain. She also said that name recognition is important to the economic development plans of the three towns and changing the name at this point could be detrimental to those plans.

Vote on the motion: All were in favor

Mr. Morris will send the letter to the Board of Libraries and attach the letters from Windsor and West Windsor to it.

Tom Kenyon said he was very pleased that all three towns took this matter very seriously and gave it the due diligence it deserved.

  1. Fire Commission Update

Ms. Murphy updated the board on the latest fire commission meeting.

Ms. Murphy said that the fire commission chair had resigned due to scheduling conflicts, but that the meeting night had been changed (now it will be the 2nd Thursday of each month) and the chair would now like to be reappointed.

There was discussion on the Knox Box process. Landon Wheeler, Fire Marshall, told Chief Spaulding that any recommendations by the fire department for Knox Box requirements must be followed by the town. Mr. Morris will be looking into prior practices and working with the new zoning administrator to resolve the issue.

Ms. Murphy asked the board to recall why labor charges were removed from the HazMat and Reimbursement ordinances. Board members stated it was because the state statutes permit collection for direct costs only. Mr. Morris said it would be in the town's best interest to research its own direct costs as opposed to relying on area towns or mutual aid rates.

Dry hydrant grants were traditionally sought by alternating departments. It has been recommended that this be changed. Strategic areas and water supply should direct grant applications in the future.

Both departments submitted their turnout gear inventories with dates of purchase included.

Ms. Murphy noted that AVFA had purchased only one set of turnout gear in FY18 (roughly $2200) which led her to ask where did the balance of the $10K restricted appropriation go? When the board did the $22,500 appropriation and added on an additional $10K, there was a stipulation that the additional funds were for hose and turnout gear. Chief Spaulding and AVFA President Mark Girard claimed no recollection of that restricted appropriation. The matter was tabled to the next meeting after discussion. The question was raised as to whether the taxpayers were aware of the appropriation. Ms. Murphy said it was documented in the select board report in the Town report. This finding was forwarded in an email to AVFA. Ms. Murphy received a reply that this was unacceptable by AVFA because the two fire chiefs were not involved in that discussion. Ms. Murphy asked that the chair make this a topic for discussion on the next agenda.

The select board will be meeting jointly with the fire commission on August 13th in addition to its regular meetings on the 6th and the 20th.

  1. Fire Department Matrix (Cont. from 7/2/2018)

The board once again reviewed the fire department matrix. This version shows the board's priorities highlighted in orange.

Mr. Cole asked that coordination of equipment purchases be included as a priority. The board agreed with the request.

Ms. Murphy stated that the goal of meeting on the 13th will be to introduce the matrix and the results of the board's discussions.

Mr. Morris said he will have preliminary information regarding a possible municipal department by September. Ms. Murphy said the board should have something ready for Town meeting in March as promised to the voters following completion of the Wood report.

  1. Municipal roads general permit update

Mr. Morris said we had received the road erosion inventory. 41% of our roads are hydraulically connected, of which only 24% meet standards.   A third of these need basic ditching and seeding; the remaining 2/3 need more extensive work (250 segments). Of these segments, 50 are high priority and will need to be completed by 2025.

We will have to complete 22 segments a year to meet the new standards starting in 2020. We will continue to pursue grant funds to supplement what work can be done within the town's resources.

Mr. Stapleton has been working on ditching with a rented excavator and operator. He has completed 24 segments in 5 weeks.

  1. Budget Calendar Introduction

Mr. Morris introduced the first draft calendar for the FY20 budget process. He asked the board for feedback and input.

Ms. Murphy asked Mr. Morris to write a letter to the fire departments describing the appropriation break-out and having the departments sign it signifying that they understand that this is what was agreed upon before the start of the new fiscal year.

Motion: To create a letter of intent outlining the fire department appropriation for the upcoming fiscal year to be signed by the fire departments, the select board, and the town manager

Made by: Mr. Boyer   Second: Mr. Cole

Vote: Unanimous in favor

Ms. Murphy made an appeal to the public for volunteers to serve on the budget committee.

  1. Policy Review
    1. Credit Card Policy (Final reading)

Motion: To approve the credit card policy as presented

Made by: Mr. Arrison       Second: Mr. Leach

Vote: Unanimous in favor

  1. Purchasing Policy (Final reading)

Motion: To approve the purchasing policy as presented

Made by: Mr. Arrison       Second: Mr. Boyer

Vote: Unanimous in favor

  1. Personnel Policy

There was some discussion regarding vacation time for part-time employees. No action was taken.

  1. Compensation Plan Review (Cont. from 7/2/2018)

Motion: To approve the compensation plan as presented

Made by: Mr. Arrison       Second: Mr. Boyer

Vote: Unanimous in favor

  1. Appointments

The board received a letter of resignation from Ethan McNaughton who asked to resign from the zoning board.

Motion: To accept the letter of resignation from Ethan McNaughton with regrets

Made by: Mr. Arrison       Second: Mr. Cole

Vote: Unanimous in favor

Southern Windsor County Regional Planning Commission – Peter Daniels

Motion: To appoint Peter Daniels to the SWCRPC

Made by: Mr. Boyer         Second: Mr. Leach

Vote: Unanimous in favor

  1. Approve Warrants

Motion: To approve the warrants for July 16, 2018 as follow:

General Funds       Operating Expenses    $48,950.67

                              Payroll                         $14,379.39

Highway Fund       Operating Expenses    $22,437.65

                              Payroll                         $7,676.20

Solid Waste Management Fund

                              Operating Expenses    $8,204.54

                              Payroll                         $1,431.51

Library                   Operating Expenses    $3,679.10

                              Payroll                         $1,625.50

Grants                   Operating Expenses    $941.18

Agency Monies                                          $0.00

Reserves                                                    $0.00

Long Term Debt                                        $0.00

Grand Totals         Operating Expenses    $84,213.14

                              Payroll                         $25,112.60

Made by:  Mr. Arrison      Second: Mr. Boyer

There was an error in how the VLCT dues for the fire district was charged.

Vote: Unanimous in favor

 

  1. Future Meeting Agenda Items

 

  1. Adjourn

Motion: To adjourn the meeting

Made by: Mr. Arrison  Second: Mr. Boyer

Vote: Unanimous in favor

 

The meeting adjourned at 9:05 PM.

Respectfully submitted,

deForest Bearse

WEATHERSFIELD SELECTBOARD

__________________________

N. John Arrison, Selector

____________________________

Daniel E. Boyer, Selector

_________________________

C. Peter Cole, Vice-Chairperson

_______________________________

Tom Leach, Clerk

________________________

Kelly Murphy, Chairperson